Wednesday, February 15, 2006

INTO THE SWING OF THINGS



Ethan and his Nanny, Sonia

All of our North American friends returned to work last week for preparations. School is officially back in session here for the students and Jared is back to full time days. Although he never really stopped working due to all the parents and students who continually called/emailed him over the summer break.

I was not sure how I would do on maternity leave. I am such a work-a-holic. But I am loving it! Ethan and I are getting into the swing of things and learning all about each other's habits. I can't believe how well he is sleeping! He sleeps 6 hours straight now! Like any typical Paraguayn, he like to stay up late! He usually goes to bed around 10pm and does not get up until 4 am. I nurse him in bed and he is back to sleep within 20 minutes! He wakes up again around 6 or 7 am.

We have a little routine...prompted by him and guided by me! Each morning he nurses in bed with me and we have a little cuddle. He is the happiest in the early morning (6-7am). Then the nanny arrives and I drive Jared to work so i can have the car for the day. Next, we play with the mobile in his crib, then the little floor gymnasium, followed by his bouncy seat. Then time for the rattler, which I am trying to get him to grab. Next, he has a little tummy time on the floor mat to help him learn to roll over. About this time he is ready for another nursing. After nursing we dance together. He loves to be held close to my chest as I twirl around and swing my hips. This morning we danced to Nelly Fortado. Around noon Jared calls from work, missing his little boy, and Ethan and I head to school with daddy's lunch. Sometimes Jared keeps the car and comes home for lunch. After lunch Ethan naps and other times he just relaxes in my arms (or the nanny's as I get online like I am doing now!).

There is lots to do and the days are just whizzing by! I find I am loving this special time with Ethan and that I am busier than ever! I am also trying to learn all about being a second grade teacher. I have never had my own classroom! When we move to Chile I will have 20 2nd grade students. I am very excited about it. So, to combine motherhood with work, I read books about teaching outloud to Ethan! Works great! And it is so very nice to have Sonia here as the nanny! She loves it and waits anxiously behind me to have her turn to hold and play with ethan.

In sum ,our days have become full of little delicious moments...my son's morning grin, the feel of his heart next to mine as we dance, the sound of his gooing and gaaing as we play and the look in his eyes as he stares up at me while we read "The first days of school" together. Oh...and the thoughts of all that is to come...Chile, teaching, taking our boy outdoors and seeing all of you in July!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home