Monday, April 09, 2007

Semana Santa part A -

The folks, Sussie, and I packed our bags and headed to Buenos Aires for Semana Santa. I had never visited BA, except for one time when my Ma was seven months pregnant, and her and Pa went shopping for baby stuff for me:)

So we took Lopez to the doggie hotel,called the taxi, and were off for an Argentina vacation. As always, it started out stressful, as yet again, we had problems with my documents in customs. Pa had all of the required documentation in hand (both of my passports, Chilean foreigner ID card, kinda like a green card in the U.S., original birth certificate from Paraguay with three certified copies, and U.S. Consular report of birth abroad, certified with three copies); however, the Chilean Customs "person" said that the documentation was inadequate and that Ma and Pa should have legalized documentation from the Chilean and U.S. Embassies. Well, we were all in shock, yet again, and a very uncomfortable five minutes passed. In the end we were "allowed" to leave Chile, but with a verbal reprimand about not having certain documentation, that is not even required. You see, there is a cultural custom here in Chile where service sector employees love to say "no", and seem to relish at the chance to exert some sort of power, especialy over foreigners. Pa said that he really understands how hard it must be for foreigners in the U.S.?

Anyway, at least the Gol flight was super and right on time. Gol is a new Brazilian cheap airline that operates in the Southern Cone; kinda like Southwest airlines in the states.

Our first few days in BA were super super fun. I was able to see and feel lots of culture; run through Plazas; cross wide boulevards; play with pigeons; watch the tango on the streets; and visit with the very friedly Portenos who seemed to love my blond hair and light eys. I received so much great attention, I almost felt like I was back in Paraguay again.


Pa and I tried real hard to get the little pigeons close enough so I could give one a nice pat. This was in Plaza San Martin, one of my favorite plazas amongst the 100s in the City. We even ran into old friends of the folks, the Parkers, close by in a cafe. It sure is a small world. They are moving to Ecuador to teach.


Just when I thought I had one, poooffff, they all flew into the sky. This is Pa tring to point out the extra fat one that just ate all of our crackers.


OK, attempt number two almost worked. We worked hard to get the pigeons close enough to hold;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home